Development of outdoor exhibits has been a primary objective of the NWT Mining Heritage Society. It promotes historical displays to celebrate Yellowknife and mining history throughout town but focuses its efforts on the erection of old mining equipment at its future interpretive centre at the Giant Mine townsite.
A work in progress since 2005, the outdoor display at the Giant Mine townsite continues to evolve. This area has become a tourist magnet and is a popular picnic spot in the summer months. The display surrounds the edge of the public boat launch parking lot near the entrance to the mine townsite. It includes an old log cabin from Con Mine (built in 1938 to store explosives), Giant Mine’s old fire truck, an Alligator amphibious tank used in WWII, a large bulldozer from Tundra Mine, and a 150-foot long rail track with a variety of underground mining equipment.
The log cabin area is a great picnic area and the society has installed several permanent picnic tables. An incredible amount of volunteer effort has gone into constructing, landscaping, and maintaining this area for public enjoyment.
The society has also been involved in the construction and maintenance of other old mining displays around Yellowknife, including the outdoor and indoor displays at the Yellowknife Airport, the Northern Frontier Visitors Centre, Fred Henne Territorial Park, and City Hall.